Buckwheat + Oat Flour Pancakes with Apple Rosemary Syrup
1 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup oat flour (or nut flour of your choice)
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp arrowroot powder
pinch of salt
1 cup Rebel Kitchen Mylk (or any dairy free mylk)
1/2 cup water
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbs liquid sweetener (we used maple syrup)
1 flax or chia egg (1 Tbs flax/chia : 3 parts warm water)
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
coconut oil, for cooking
Apply Rosemary Syrup
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1 cup water
1 cup chopped organic apples
1 sprig rosemary
Instructions - Pancakes
- Preheat the oven to 150ºC/300ºF.
- Mix the almond milk with the apple cider vinegar and set aside for five minutes. This makes vegan buttermilk, so don’t worry if it looks a little funny!
- Make your flax or chia egg by whisking 1 tablespoon flax/chia with 3 tablespoons warm water.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of the stand mixer, whisk together the liquid ingredients. Sift the dry ingredients into the wet mixture.
- Melt a knob of coconut oil in a pan over medium heat. Once the pan is hot and the oil begins to sizzle, ladle the some of the batter onto the pan. Reduce the heat to a medium-low heat. The pancake is ready to be flipped when holes begin to appear. Flip the pancake and cook until the other side browns.
- Once the pancake is done, place in a baking tray and into the oven to keep warm.
- Repeat with the rest of the batter.
Instructions - Syrup
- Bring coconut sugar and water to a boil, whisking constantly and then reduce heat.
- Add apples and cook for 5 mins
- Add sprig of rosemary and let simmer for 2 mins.
- Remove from heat
Happy pancake eating!